Thursday 3 November 2022

On autism and being an author

Welcome fellow authors, readers, spectrum people and like-minded people to my new blog 'Authistic' which has been incubating for a while now and which I'm hoping to combine with some video content! 

I decided to launch a new blog mainly about how autism relates to my writing in particular eg not just how I write but the fact that I write at all. But also focussing on writing processes, reading habits and other aspects in general.

I was recently diagnosed with autism at the grand old age of 63 along with my sister (aged 65) and suddenly it's made a lot of sense of our lives and the struggles we've had throughout life. It's very misunderstood, particularly among women, and I've learned so much in the last few months - like the fact that Asperger's is no longer used (although people already with that diagnosis hang on to it). Even the terms 'high functioning' and 'low functioning' aren't used either because a person can function well in one area but struggle in another area. But thanks to Right To Choose, a very supportive GP and invaluable advice in relevant Facebook groups we didn't have to wait the four and half years on the NHS (it had got longer than usual due to Covid backlogs) but went with a provider who offered the Right To Choose option.

On Wednesday this week, I'd been looking at the best way to do Instagram reels for visual content when I received an email from the National Autistic Society asking women and non binary people to share their own stories to raise awareness and challenge outdated stereotypes using the hashtag ‘nowiknow’ and the timing was quite uncanny especially as I was about to launch this blog. 

Here is the link to their very short video:

So  I thought I'd bite the bullet and have a go as much as I loathe speaking to the camera and hate to see myself on video! Mine is very short too!



As I say, my sister was also diagnosed at the same time and we've heard of at least one woman in her seventies receiving a diagnosis. We’ve also been diagnosed with ADHD which often goes together with autism. I’ve yet to have it confirmed by a second assessor but I will know for sure later this month.

Anyway that’s all for now but I'm looking forward to sharing more blogs in the near future with (maybe) some more short videos, hoping it will resonate with others. I also hope to have improved my video techniques with fewer background distractions! I'm fine when filming nature or cats. But speaking and seeing myself is a hurdle I need to overcome!


Thanks for reading and viewing.


Best wishes until next time  ðŸ˜Š




12 comments:

  1. Love it Kate. You came over well on video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann! I can't sign in to my own account, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had a look at this Kate. Really interesting. I was diagnosed at 55 nearly 2 years ago and I'm still reframing my whole life with this new knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment. It's a real life-changing experience, isn't it, trying to reframe and unlearn all the old idea about autism! Best wishes

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the club! I self diagnosed at 50 as autistic and having ADHD. Probably won't go for a formal diagnosis due to waiting times(NHS) and cost (private). It makes sense of me, my life and world so I'm happy with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. Yes self-diagnosis is perfect legitimate. We didn't actually have to pay. It turned out that the NHS waiting lists were a blessing in disguise as if you go with Right To Choose you don't have to pay :) It was a bit of a clunky route though!

      Delete
  5. Fellow autistic adhd author here and looking forward to more! Thank you. Great video too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I look forward to sharing our aut(h)istic experiences in future. I know lots of people have posted anonymously and hope that's not a glitch with the system

      Delete
  6. Fabulous blog and video - looking forward to seeing more from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't seem to sign in at moment! Kate 😊

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the new blog Kate, you came across great in the video 🤩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't seem to sign in to my own blog! I think I need to do do something with the settings

      Delete

Autistic Demand Avoidance (some Sally Cat memes)

This is going to be my last blog on this subject for a while although I think it will come up in others and it's all pervasive! But I st...