Thursday 3 August 2023

Authism and Un/hipdom!

I have been thinking whether as autistic people we're not always aware of coolness or hipness and I had written this book in the noughties called Little guide to Unhip. It was published around 2011 first time, then I went Indie and self-published. But I had been thinking of doing a blog about this for some time and was reminded me to do it now when I heard Gilbert O'Sullivan on my ipod recently.  It was Gilbert O Sullivan who actually inspired me to do the book as I thought him very unhip. No Matter How I Try.came on my iPod the other day and I thought I might as well do my vlog now. Now, he's undoubtedly a very good songwriter so I'm not confusing unhip with naff although tsometimes the two can go together but I just don't think he's that hip. You are free to disagree with me but in 2010 I uploaded samples of my 'little guide's onto a site hosted by Harper Collins called Authonomy, a site for authors to showcase their work and receive critiques. I met another author on there called Tony Shelley who's uploaded some of his book which has since become Rock Paper Slippers - an excellent book I might add - but we'd both independently written about Gilbert's uncoolness and were along the same lines there! 



In the book I list my top 50 Unhip things (eg people, clothing, colours, traits, all sorts of things). Gilbert kicks off the guide. Here's an excerpt:


'Gilbert might well ask why oh why oh why he hasn't enjoyed a resurgance when so many of his contemporaries have gained credibility with time. But poor old Gilbert remains as unhip as ever, possibly even more than ever. Gilbert O'Sullivan was first and foremost a songwriter, which would normally grant an artist immunity from the vagaries of fashion. But when Gilbert O'Sullivan went out he never came back. He remains stuck in the seventies for all eternity..." and on. 


There are lots of different sections. It's not just about people although I've included some like Leo Sayer who I saw twice!! But I've included certain traits, like always being early! When we used to get trains, my sister and I would arrive so early as to be in time for the earlier train! I think this is too with anxiety and worry; thinking about all the things I needed to do and covering for every eventuality which might befall us between home and the train station (taxi being late, queue for tickets, needing the toilet etc). Or when invited to someone's house or party, I felt I needed to be on time and I was and am invariably early for everything, never fashionably late. Although I'm diagnosed with ADHD as well as autism, and although people with ADHD feel anxious and things can be chaotic, I still think that they can come across as perhaps more cool because they might be fashionably late or spontaneous or seeming to throw caution to the wind; not worrying about every last penny, wanting new experiences like festivals and clubbing etc. Such examples are in the Guide. Making lists I 'list' as an uncool thing but maybe that's an ADHD thing to help with executive dysfunction. I might have changed my mind on a few since. 


I had a lot of engagement in 2010 when I first uploaded the book, but 2010 is a long time ago now and I was thinking many of the things I mentioned are to do with specific sensory needs.  I think umbrellas aren't very cool but I use them because I don't like being wet; socks under sandals or carpets on the floor are all because I like to have warm feet. Wooden floors look nice but they are noisy and colder. Then there are colours like beige and navy. I don't wear these colours much although I do have a navy cardigan but maybe this is sensory as well eg too bright colours perhaps might cause sensory overload. 


Anyway I'd be very interested in your comments as to whether you feel uncool and you do unfunky things and whether this comes into conflict sometimes with ADHD. I think the autism side of me is uncool and the ADHD is more cool but that's just me. My radar may be completely wrong but it's about what is subjective anyway. You don't have to be neurodiverse either, to join in the fun! I didn't know I was when I penned it.


Of course, if you'd like to read more you'll just have to get Little Guide To Unhip which available in paperback and also as an ebook—just reduced to 0.99 for a short while—then you can 'come out' as Unhip too!



Cover was a free redesign by Tugboat Design.

Available at Amazon.uk: Little Guide To Unhip






No comments:

Post a Comment

Autistic Demand Avoidance (some Sally Cat memes)

This is going to be my last blog on this subject for a while although I think it will come up in others and it's all pervasive! But I st...