Friday 17 May 2024

Authism - taking things literally in relation to song lyrics etc

When I made this video I was thinking about how I took song lyrics literally. I don’t know if I was behind my contemporaries in this respect. I know children have more concrete thinking so maybe a child-thing rather than an autistic thing when very young. 





For instance 'Heard It Through The Grapevine' was one and I pictured a literal grapevine - probably not helped at all by the video on Top Of The Pops! I was about ten when the song was out. Adults would understand that it’s a metaphor and I’m sure maybe some ten-year-year-old children would too. Another example was 'Baby Come Back' and all the songs about babies when I was the same sort of primary school age and then it gradually dawned on my that they weren’t singing songs about actual babies but (usually) a boy singing about his girlfriend or someone he fancied.


One I’ve not included in the accompanying video was a song called 'Baby Jump' by Mungo Jerry (I was twelve by then and knew that it wasn’t a song about how well his baby could spring in a baby bouncer!). No, it was another line this time. One that goes ‘she’s got a beautiful form…’ and I thought it was ‘she’s got a beautiful phone…’  My older sister thought it hilarious but I swore those were the lyrics for years afterwards. (Nowadays someone might well sing about the most coveted iPhone but in those days people rarely had their own phone - just one landline per house if they were lucky). This example is more about a misheard lyric that makes as much sense as the actual words.


Another example: there was a band called Our Kid who had a massive hit in 1976. I think it was their only one, to be honest. I was living on Merseyside at the time, too, so the term  ‘our kid’ was part of everyday use. I remember a time at a fellow student's house where he talking to my then boyfriend about ‘our kid’ (his brother) but I was trying to compute what he was saying in relation to the group. I remember butting in with something to do with the group and he just looked at me as if to say ‘what are you going on about?. I did feel a bit of a twit! 


I'm sure I'll be adding many more examples as they come back to me.


How about you?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Authism - discussing learning harmony parts with Audhd

Today I wanted to take a break from talking about autism and writing and instead talk about autism/adhd and music, specifically to learning ...